Stuffed Zucchini – Vegetarian
You’ve probably noticed I love me a good stuffing! They help add colour, flavour and moisture to the most bland, unpalatable vessel.
Let me be clear; I’m not suggesting zucchini are either of those things! They are one of my favourite vegetables and I love them prepared in a myriad of ways; however when you live with two vegetarians a good stuffing can help keep dinner interesting!
Serves 4 – 6
What you’ll need
- 3 large zuchinni – cut in half length ways; the filling scooped out
- 1 tsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 tsp cold pressed coconut oil
- 180g or 1 packet of haloumi (I prefer Lemnos organic halloumi) – cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 cup of organic quinoa seeds – i use a mix of red and white
- 1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes – chopped into small pieces
- 1 capsicum (I used green) – diced
- A handful of basil leaves – torn or chopped roughly
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts – toasted
- 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 2 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs butter
How to get it done
1. Place the zucchini (cut side up) into a baking dish and into a pre-heated 180′c oven.
2. Add the quinoa to a small saucepan with 2 cups of cold water and the ghee (or butter). Bring to the boil over high heat and then turn heat down to low and simmer (covered) for about 12 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile heat half of the ghee in a fry pan over high heat (if using butter add a tiny bit of the coconut oil too). Add the onion and capsicum and cook on medium-high heat for a few minutes until the onion starts to go transparent. Set aside.
4. Mix the Dijon mustard, honey and cider vinegar into the cooked quinoa with the small pieces of haloumi, the cooked onion and capsicum mixture, the sundried tomatoes, chia seeds, pine nuts, basil and spinach. Mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Take the zucchini out of the oven and scoop the quinoa filling into the troughs. If you have any left over scoop it over and around the zucchini. Place the extra butter (1 Tbs) sporadically over the zucchini and quinoa and return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until the top starts to brown a little.
6. Serve with a simple rocket salad or enjoy on it’s own.